Saturday, November 29, 2008

O.O

My Mom wants to borrow my copy of Twilight.
...
She said she was (is) attracted to the storyline after watching the movie...(!!!)
Oh Lord... I never thought my Mom would actually agree to read any book that I enjoy. And TWILIGHT? Of ALL BOOKS?
I mean, I'm not judging or stereotyping readers or anything. Okay maybe I am, a bit. I understand that within its totally perfect romantic storyline, apart from the disagreeing vampires and/or werewolves and occasional disasters, it's a crack of a read for those with at least half a pile of mush for a heart- which explains the Twilight Moms. But MY Mom, who loves seeing those dramas I can't even stomach, and the expression she gets when I try to get her to read even a small English book that she might actually like... Liking THIS? A TEENAGE romance/angst-themed movie adapted from a book series with like 500+ pages each, with a large tween fan base (that also happens to include other minorities like me, which I'm not THAT proud of)??
You've gotta be kidding me.
But that's what she said while she handed me my Caramel Cappuccino in Coffee Bean & Tea Leaves. I was flabbergasted for about half a second before I actually blurted a (half) astounded 'What?' since I was too shocked to say the more appropriate term for that, which is an 'Excuse me?' with a significantly lower pitch. I was lucky she didn't say that before I actually got to sip at the drink she was lowering in its tray. I would've spewed the chairs in front of me, and probably the ones behind them as well. She wants to read that book, and is willing to buy me the second and third if I lent her the first. Which is kinda impossible now that I think of it, since the place where the unopened book (yes, it's very much in mint condition and the plastic wrap around it is still intact!) is in is locked, as the people (one of my aunt/uncle pairs) living there are a few hundred kilometers away right now on a brief business trip.
BUT (There's a large BUT for you)...
I'm not saying it's lame. I mean, as I said, it's totally fathomable for a woman just past her mid-forties to actually like the movie/book/storyline. We ladies all have a tweenish girly side to us; whether it's dominant or not is a question in itself. Nevertheless, it never occured to me that my OWN Mom would be sucked into The Twilight Zone, as did so many other teens and older and younger people in the past few months.
At least I can say her taste in movies is at least THAT much closer to mine =P
Come to think of it, I SO have to find a way to get her to read the book now!

2 comments:

Praxi said...

Woman!! Paragraph skit!

Lavender Skyes said...

my blog, not yours >:p