Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Happy Birthday... Are You Lonely Yet?

I am 20.

God. I'm actually closer to 20-and-a-day.

And I love my friends. Really. Because up until now I've had two surprises, one pre- and one on my birthday.

Granted it hasn't been the most smashing week of my life, if not literally, if you take into account the amount of time I spend wavering between this realm and the next but yeah. I have some wonderful people to thank for some seriously good moments to remember in -bleeep-. And, more importantly, some SERIOUSLY good food. Of course, one may want to assume that it is very fickle of me to regard food as a matter outweighing precious moments in themselves but hey, food lasts as long as a moment but tends to be more satisfying... in that moment anyway. And what do moments do, pray tell?

Make us weepy and mushy in our times of reminiscence, that's what. So it's hardly worth the time debating whether scrumptious, delectable food that do not really stick to your conscience should be appreciated more than moments. Which also need great food to complement them fully as a moment worth remembering anyway. But of course, one tends to get carried away with one's own opinions; there are many that I know of who regard food as simply... food. A four-lettered word with hardly no insight whatsoever other than providing the required nutrients we need to be nourished, healthy and possibly live longer. I envy these people, but more often than not pity them. I also do respect their opinions and hear their side, but of course, in Lavland it's *almost* all about the food =)

Which is why I'm writing about food more than what matters most when it comes to birthdays- deeper insights on things that matter most pertaining to a supposedly higher depth of maturity that comes with the process of aging. Other than puberty, however, I have yet to see solid proof that our brain cells conduct our actions in a more 'adult' manner as the clock chimes at midnight, announcing the exact anniversary of our arrival those few precocious years ago. Frankly, we should all agree that aging comes with experience, and not age.

I love birthdays in the sense that with modern technology and the coming of better and more developed ways to communicate with one another across the world, we who have the resources to do so, have a valid reason to contact ones who have been separated and discommunicated with us from years ago... out of awkwardness or lack of subjects to bring up in conversations, for the most part. A simple 'Happy Birthday!' on the Facebook wall could trigger a LOT of memories, leading to a deluge of questions and a barrage of back-and-forth comments that effectively reconnect old ties in an indirectly less awkward situation. Thus birthdays are a fine time to say 'hi' to an old friend of yours you've been dying to hear more of but are too clueless to bring something up with. And that is a truly remarkable gift that need not be sent to you in glossy wrapping paper or with an accompanying slice of cake (though that DOES sound better) for you to appreciate.

0 comments: