Thursday, April 9, 2009

Good Professor, Bad Professor...?

Image obtained from here

Refreshing as the match I had today with two men was (one decidedly agressive, the other a mild sideki- I mean, colleague- with a genuinely friendly and honest smile), I can't help but ponder upon the origins of the whole 'Good Q, Bad Q (where Q = certain applicable professions)' faced by a person under interrogation/interview.

Even in systems like these, humans have yet to fail themselves in trying to achieve equilibrium. Equilibrium for what actually? I have a couple of guesses:

1. The emotions of the interrogated/interviewee
2. The overall mood of the interrogators/interviewers
3. The balance of good and evil in a justice/education/anything-else-applicable system. Shame it doesn't work in politics with *cough*TheMightyTun*cough* some people.

Knowing that this was inevitable, though, I did my best to show my 'game face' to both, especially the 'Bad Q' since he seemed to demand it in large quantities. I pity the other interviewer; however, he asked me less than 30% of the total questions so I logically owe his colleague more eye-contact with each explanation.

Are the 'Good Qs' merely there to lighten the atmosphere and become some sort of sickly-sweet wallpaper inside a room filled with the terrible aura of the 'Bad Qs'?

So yeah. My Good Q of the day was one of those Exceptionally Good Qs, who seem to have nothing to say against you, never demoralize you and always smile when your eyes see his (seriously, Good Qs are almost always males). He even praised me when I felt like I was gonna slump on the floor with some of my explanations of my past failures. On the other hand, my Bad Q was one of those who goes all-out on his (this, more often than not, can be applied to 'her', but in my case it was the opposite- yay! Female Bad Qs are WAAAAY nasty and I know because I've been one =P) role, with the annoying (sorry but it was!) mock-thinking expressions after your questionable answers/statements, the sarcastic laugh, the taunting questions fired off one after the other like they were emitted from some sort of missile-question-gun, the goatee/beard/moustache stroke of 'questionable objections' (they were darn interesting though, and highly intriguing- one of the reasons I just couldn't keep my eye off his facial expressions). However, I DID say all-out and not Pure Evil- his 'meanness' didn't reach his eyes (thank God) and he turned out to be really cool by showing me to the main highlight of any medical school- the cadaver room!

So after a brief pause, I started firing questions when they gave the obligatory 'Do you have any questions for us?' and one of the ones I pressed upon was regarding the cadaver room and its 'inhabitants', since they're the life (pun intended) of any medical student's pre-clinical years. He gave me permission to sneak in, get a quick peek- there were three other groups of students in there clustered around three cadavers, each with a professor/lecturer rambling away- and was pleasantly surprised to see that the cadavers were very well preserved and in great condition! I received a few smiles from the other *FEMALE* seniors in the room (most of which, I'm pretty sure, were my age or younger- hardee har har) and went out of the room with sparkles in my eyes, a big grin and a bounce in my step, as if I was a child who had just walked out of Disneyland. 'Bad Q' asked me how it was and I relayed to him my thoughts of how nice the cadavers seemed and he went, 'Of course they are, they're DEAD!' in a loudish voice in the interview-waiting-lobby place, and I burst out laughing. The others waiting for their interview whipped their heads around at me, looking puzzled- and slightly mortified (since when have I been a big fan of puns?).

Lawl.

Oh. And they said the main faculties were moving out to a bigger (10x bigger, so it seems) campus later on! He said by the time I get to my faculty of choice after this *cough*gapyear*cough* it'd be done! Kudos to Good Q for answering most of the questions that seemed to tumble out of my mouth while Bad Q ominously tried to ignore me and laughed sarcastically when I didn't stop asking. I bet he was VERY relieved when I finally said 'Thanks for your time~!' in that sickly-sweet voice I always fail to subdue after a satisfying interview. For my part or theirs, it doesn't matter; any interview over and done with are satisfying, at least for a couple of days before you start going 'OMIGAWD I SHOULDA SAID THIS INSTEAD OF THAT!'

Well-preserved cadavers can really make one's day brighter. Heheh.

0 comments: